Monday, February 05, 2007

Another team member returns! (Feb. 3, 2007)

It is official, my old man now owns the 2005 Norco Shore! Farewell ol' red 2001 Norco Team DH. The weather was promising so a ride was organized and we were to meet at the Woodlot as per usual. The group comprised of myself (Jason), my dad (Brent), my wife (Amanda), Brian, and long lost team awsome member Doug! The plan was to head up to Goldmine with the hope that the snow would have melted enough for us to get a good run with some speed. The apparent "promising weather" had other ideas. The overcast skies turned to light rain, which had turned to full out snowing at the power lines and we decided to ride Crazy Carpenter instead.


Amanda pushing through the snow at the power lines.

(notice the snow in the air aswell)


After gearing up in the forest, in the shelter from the snow, we began our descent. Brian led the way followed by my dad and Doug and myself with Manda picking up the rear. The three in the lead chose not to ride the first log ride but ride beside it instead due to the ladder bridge that was broken. My dad ended up endo-ing after a root drop when his tire jammed against a rock. I decided to ride the logride then hop off to the side just before the broken ladder bridge. Instead my rear tire slipped off the log about halfway along so I was forced to continue on along the same route my dad took and ended flying over my handlebars at the same stupid rock he hit. My little trail builder Manda dug the rock out and filled it in with a flat rock to prevent any future crashes. We scooted down the rest of the trail smoothly and problem free.

Amanda riding out the end of Crazy Carpenter



The group steamed on ahead with Toadstool followed by lower toadstool. We noticed that B-line has undergone and is still undergoing renovations and the two trails now merge together at the end. I will have to check out B-line next time.

L-R: Brian, Dadman, Doug, Manda the weirdo at the top of lower Toadstool


Now at a lower elevation the snow is just plain old rain which made it nearly impossible to keep our eyes open during the ride down the access road to Shotgun due to water and dirt spraying off our tires and into our faces. We assumed our regular race tradition and flew down Shotgun to the parking lot. Brian led the way followed by my dad then me and Doug and Amanda charging right behind. It was another awsome ride and we were completely soaked and our faces completely mud-freckled.

No comments: