Sunday, February 01, 2009

Bicyclese Mark II (part I)

This is a history of my bike Bicyclese Mark II, predecesor of Bicyclese Mark I, and how he came to be what he is.


Bicyclese started out as a 2000 large (19.5") Devinci Magma. The frame includes 6" of suspension travel by way of a four-bar linkage and an asymmetrical swingarm (for added front derailer clearance).
My frame did not remain intact for long. The first thing to go was the swingarm which eventually succombed to brake shear just forward of the reinforcing gusset, which was designed to prevent such an occurance. This design flaw led to a warranteed replacement swingarm which consisted of large aluminum plate on the brake side to replace the insignificant stock gusset.
The next thing to succomb to failure was the upper shock bolt. Again, another design flaw: the shear plane between the shoulder and the threads of the shock bolt was coincident with the rocker arm/ shock reducer shear plane, which meant constantly shearing shock bolts. The cure: longer shoulder on the bolt and drilled out threads so that the bolt shoulder is now slightly inset in the rocker arm.
Numerous harsh landings led to another sheared swingarm which also took out the seatstays. Bicyclese now sports another new swingarm and a set of used seat stays. Bicyclese Mark I was beheaded at Whistler where I sheared the top tube, on a step down jump. A crash replacement front triangle is what you see now with a huge wrap-around gusset at the head tube junction. The previous frame had no gusseting here whatsoever.


The frame originally came equipped with a Rock Shox Deluxe shock with a rebound damping knob and a 500 Lb spring. This did not cut the mustard, the spring was way too soft and I couldn't even pedal. I swapped out the 500 Lb spring for a 750 Lb Eibach spring. I ended up buying this vintage Fox Vanilla RX (that's pre Vanilla RC) which came off of a Rocky Mountain DH Race. The shock was the perfect touch with rebound adjustment and compression adjustment via a shock pump. Pretty sweet for 30$ and still performing after all these years! Look at that pretty blue anodizing.











I actually cracked the top part of the stock headset. My motto early on was to replace any damaged part with the strongestand or most reliable part I could get (within reason). Here is my FSA PIG DH headset with servicable ball bearings. I have never had a problem with this headset yet.










One of the few stock parts left on the bike. This is a Titec Knucklehead stem which has a lifetime warranty (no wonder I still have it). I switched to a FUNN Hedhuncho adjustable stem for a while to raise the cockpit into a more comfortable position. A taller fork and the fact that the FUNN four-piece stem was heavy left me to switch back to my faithful Titec.










No comments: